Review The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3) by Julie Kagawa

Review The Forever Song (Blood of Eden #3) by Julie Kagawa

Synopsis: Vengeance will be hers.

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.


Monster.


Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions - her creator Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost - the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie.

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, her triumph will be short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

THE FINAL HUNT IS ON.
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Must read! Must have! Must fall in love with!
Genres: Dystopia, Young Adult, Paranormal
Recommended for: fans of Julie Kagawa, vampire lovers, fans of Angelfall by Susan Ee, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Other books in the series:
The Immortal Rules
 
The Eternity Cure
 
My thoughts:
Freaking tears. Why do I have to cry even when I'm writing this not-coherent blubbering mess of words? Bravo, Miss Julie. I am in awe and in terrible agony now that I finished this new favorite series of mine, Blood of Eden, and I assure you that this story will stay with me forever.
I read this whole series in less than 5 days. I couldn't get enough of this world and I couldn't stop reading. Any book that manages to keep me up at night deserves a 5 star rating from me, because sleep is well on its way to becoming my next hobby. Any book that manages to actually make me cry with full, ugly, kill-me-now-kind-of tears deserves the same rating, because I'm quite an emotionless reader -- at least on the outside. If a book is able to do both these things, then it's no question it's outstanding and deserves all the stars in the universe. And The Forever Song is just that kind of book, taking control of your thoughts until the final sentence, proving that life doesn't give you all for granted, that you have to fight for what you truly believe in and that, sometimes, a little hope in the darkness is the thing that will release us from the monsters awaiting within ourselves.
I don't know, maybe I'm biased, but this series made me realize how lucky I am. That I have a safe home, a family, friends and teachers. That I have a certain peace and that first-world-problems aren't so important. I'm not ashamed to admit that if I were living in Allie's world, I would be among the ones that would die first. And for this revelation that had me going to hug my sister, I will be forever grateful. Allie became the model I strike to be and I seriously hope I'll achieve just a tenth of her strength and determination.
 
I don't want to say too much about the story. Just reading the synopsis will clear you in everything you need to know -- but be careful and don't read it unless you know what happens in the first two books, cause this particular synopsis is dark and full of spoilers.
All the characters reached their climatic point in their journey featured in this last installment. Allie succumbed to the darkness, but managed to crawl out in the end. She grew into something so wonderful, a vampire leader in her own right, yet clinging to pieces of her humanity with the hope that she won't become a monster. Determined, strong, stubborn to hell, she was a goddamn kick-ass ninja in disguise. Regardless of some dire outcomes that marked her past, she wants to live. Also, the need for vengeance keeps her falling off the edge. For goodness' sake, I don't thing I've ever been more proud of a character before!
 
“Still incredible, vampire girl,” he whispered, sounding almost like himself again. “Dangerous, beautiful and unstoppable. You haven’t changed.”
Kanin was, hands-down, my favorite character. Patient, understanding, calm and unnerving, with his mysterious allure and great dedication, he was the one to keep the gang all-together, the glue between the cracks, the steady presence that would protect the others no matter what. Selfless and kind, he won my heart from the beginning and never let go. I loved how close he became with Allison, how much support he showed for her. He was the father that Allie never got the chance to have and that turned a broken girl into a powerful one. Christ, he may as well be my most beloved secondary character!


Jackal, oh, Jackal. I loved the guy. In my eyes, he found some redemption for what he did in the first book. I loved to see him bickering with his sister, I loved his arrogant and mocking facade that offered some comic relief and I loved how he slowly started to care for each of his companions. Wanted to shout in his face: "SEE?! You're not such a bastard, after all! You do have a heart somewhere waaaay deep inside you. Stop acting like you don't!"
“Jackal snorted. “Sneak into my own city and skulk around like a sewer rat,” he muttered darkly, shaking his head. “Oh, heads are going to roll for this. I’m going to set up a special lane and use their skulls for bowling balls.”
There was another character I can't say much about, but I adored him for his strength and ambition. He defied every odd against him and he was selfless and caring. I loved him as well.
And, of course, there's Sarren. Psycho Vamp, insane weirdo, damned creature, bat-shit-crazy bloodsucker, take your pick, because he was all of those things. The acts he did were so cruel, so vicious you'll shrink back in horror. I wanted to make him my personal punching bag.
Julie Kagawa doesn't shy away from torturing our beloved characters, from peeling every bit of emotion of them, from taking them beyond despair. And that's why the character-development is the main focus in this story. Although there's a great deal of horror, action and an always-constant clock banging in the background, the relationships take precedent and they become the beacon of light in a world full of terrors. A world that, I might add, was gorgeously built by the author.
“This asshole had better open the door,” Jackal growled, spinning his fire ax in a graceful arc as the horde came on. “I didn’t come all the way to Eden to be eaten at the damn gates. Some might call it ironic, but that just pisses me off.”
I won't reveal anything about the plot, but I just want to say what a certain scene did to me. About 90% in the book, in Chapter 18, there was a touching and overwhelmingly emotional scene between Kanin and Allie that had me in tears, shouting at a snickering projection of Julie Kagawa nonsense like "NO, NO, NO! You evil monster!". After endless tears and cursing at miss Julie, I finally accepted that this was just the way it should have ended. Still hurt like a bitch though. *sniff*
 
“Kanin leaned forward, bent down, and very lightly touched his lips to my forehead. “I am proud of you, Allison Sekemoto,” he whispered as he drew back. “Whatever you decide, whatever path you choose to take, I hope that you will remain the same girl I met that night in the rain. The one decision for which I have no regrets.”
This book was gut-wrenching, but perfect with its bittersweet final echo. It truly was a requiem that brought out swirling emotions. Emotions get the best of us. Emotions rule us. Emotions make the difference between monster and human, no matter if you're fictional or not. And this message was definitely delivered in The Forever Song. Heartbreaking, action-filled, fast-paced and all-around amazing, this last book offered the closure I needed and ended this story with a boom. I hope my applause will be heard over this peaceful silence that was sure to follow. Bye, guys! Love you all.
“I love you, vampire girl,” he whispered as he drew back. “And forever is exactly what we have.”
ENJOY! ©
P.S. I want moooore. A whole book with Allie and Jackal just bickering at each other. Or maybe a book with Kanin falling in love. Anything. Please?
 

0 comentarii: