Synopsis: While
Merit didn’t choose to become a vampire or Sentinel of Cadogan House, she vowed
to fight for her House and its Master, and she’s managed to forge strong
alliances with powerful supernaturals across Chicago. But even though Merit has
had wild adventures, this may be her deadliest yet...A killer is stalking Chicago, preying on humans and leaving his victims with magical souvenirs. The CPD hasn’t been able to track the assailant, and as the body count rises, the city is running out of options. Vampires and humans aren’t on great terms, but murder makes for strange bedfellows. Can Merit find the killer before she becomes a target?
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Adult
Recommended for: fans of Urban Fantasy
My
Thoughts:
Chicagoland
Vampires is a guilty pleasure of mine ever since I binge read
the first five volumes two years ago. Since then, I've been awaiting every
following installment with the patience of a committed fangirl -- so, yes,
hyperventilating, happy dances and crazy shouting every now and then were a
part of my usual response. Blood Games
is no different. I wanted the same kick-ass addiction I've been experiencing
for the past nine books and that's exactly what I've got.
“Go ahead,” I told him. “Go see
your admirers. Sign some autographs. It’s good PR for the House.”
He slid me a glance, smiled. “Not concerned one of the fans will try to sweep me away with words of love?”
“Oh, they’ll try to sweep,” I said. “But I have no worries you’ll come back to me.”
His smile was meltingly handsome. “Because I love you without measure?”
“Of course,” I said.
Also, I had the car keys.”
He slid me a glance, smiled. “Not concerned one of the fans will try to sweep me away with words of love?”
“Oh, they’ll try to sweep,” I said. “But I have no worries you’ll come back to me.”
His smile was meltingly handsome. “Because I love you without measure?”
“Of course,” I said.
Also, I had the car keys.”
There are three main plotlines going on: a serial
killer is roaming the streets of Chicago, willing to blame the crimes on the
supernaturals; the Greenwich Presidium head, Darius West, is magicked and tries
to steal millions of dollars from the American Houses; Ethan Sullivan is
currently blackmailed by a mysterious "she" in order for him to drop
the challenge to the GP. And as you can surely figure it out, Merit, Cadogan
House and her little band of misfits are always in the middle of it.
“I walked to the house, climbed
the front steps, and knocked on the door. Catcher answered it a moment later, a
frilly apron tied around his waist.
I opened my mouth, closed it again. Settled on, “There are hardly words.”
I opened my mouth, closed it again. Settled on, “There are hardly words.”
And speaking of our amazing main character, Merit is
the same absolutely lovable and kickass heroine we'd come to love. She's so
dedicated and funny, friendly and strong. We see a lot of her badass demeanor
in Blood Games, but we're also
reminded of how much she cares about the ones closest to her. Add that to her
Nancy Drew personality and you got yourself a vampire that's bound to win you
over with sarcasm, awesome moves and love for anything edible.
“I’ve never loved you more.”
“Are you talking to me, Margot, or the burgers?”
“Are you talking to me, Margot, or the burgers?”
Now let's get down to more exciting stuff. Mainly
Ethan Sullivan, Master of Cadogan House, known alpha-male and a bit of a
control-freak, stubborn and honorable, with a sweet side that turns you into a
pile of goo on the floor. Granted, he's off the market, because he's pretty
crazy about Merit, but a girl can fantasize about his strength and
determination (and the smoldering green eyes and golden locks and hot hips and
mouth-watering abs).
In this book, surprisingly enough, he has a role in
some of the drama -- the emotional kind. Merit and Ethan face some trust issues
in their relationship when his past comes back to bite his ass and he doesn't
want to let Merit see that part of him. Whereas he was pretty much a
frustrating wuss when it came to all of this, Merit turned on the no bullshit
mode and kept pestering him for more information. So really, Sullivan:
Oh, but once he did (how could he not?) he made my
soul swell with happiness just because of how lovable and intense he could be.
Romantic, funny, a leader and a warrior alike, he is one of a kind. And I was
also damn proud of him by the end of the book, silently condemning him for his
temporary stupidity.
“If you’re going to yell at me,
do it in English, please. I’d like to understand the insult so I can frame an
appropriately pithy response.”
I missed the gang of shape shifters and I would've
loved to see more of Jeff -- sometimes I was under the impression that he's
barely in the picture. But I understand that a book can only have a certain
amount of characters without making it feel cramped, so I'll just patiently --
not -- await to spend more time with them in the next books.
On the other hand, I looooved that we got to hang out
more with Jonah. He's such a heartfelt and smexy fella, not to mention
downright skilled when it comes to fighting. And the friendship between Mallory
and Merit slowly rebuilds and my heart couldn't have been more happier about
that.
“I considered that. “She did
say I had a vampire-sex-warrior quality.”
“Since I like my very pretty face just the way it is, I’m going to leave that one alone.”
“Since I like my very pretty face just the way it is, I’m going to leave that one alone.”
Anyway, the rest of the gang is still here. Catcher,
Luc, Lindsey, Margot, Malik, Merit's grandfather... I already love them to bits
so seeing what they've been up to is like having dinner with friends. They're
like this big, awesome and happy family that help each other in need.
“My excellent plan notwithstanding,
both Luc and Ethan wore dirty looks.
“Love you guys!” I said with sickly sweetness. “You get everything worked out?”
“We’ve decided you’re the biggest pain in our ass,” Luc said.”
“Love you guys!” I said with sickly sweetness. “You get everything worked out?”
“We’ve decided you’re the biggest pain in our ass,” Luc said.”
I really liked the plot as well. So many things were
happening but not once did it feel overwhelming. Chloe Neill does a great job
at interweaving several storilines, although they don't have anything in common
besides our crew of wannabee detectives. The serial killer was truly messed up
and the GP business turns into a load of surprises for our favorite characters.
BUT. I seriously have just a tiny but. Chloe Neill is
such. A. Goddamn. TEASE. (Sorry for the shouty capitals but seriously now, how
could you?!) There's one thing in particular that hasn't been addressed
accordingly in this book -- Gabe's prophecy from a previous installment. I
understand any development on this particular subject would've been hard to
fulfill due to Gabriel's lack of participation in anything Blood Games related,
but my fangirl heart refuses to be aware of that fact. I want to know more! And
I need to see the prophecy happen right this very second. There's like a couple
of lines on this issue and the topic is easily brushed off afterwards and that just
bummed me.
There's nothing else I can add to what I've already
said about Chloe Neill over the years -- she has mad writing skills. She
manages to keep me up till the middle of the night, giving me lots of
laugh-worthy moments and action-driven plot lines. The creator of Ethan
Sullivan definitely deserves my admiration any given day.
The pre-ending part had me grinning like a moron,
excited to see how a new outcome will play out and affect Cadogan House. It was
both shocking and smart. Now the actual ending, like the last lines or so, made
my blood pump in astonishment and my skin to turn into goosebumps, because shit
is about to get real. Give me Dark Debt already!!
Chicagoland
Vampires is on a 5 stars rating streak for me. Every novel
entertains me immensely and I love these hilarious, brave and honorable
characters. Blood Games only
reiterated my profound feelings for them, offering a wonderful cocktail of
action, humor, love and mystery. If you're a bit apprehensive to start this
series, there's no need to worry -- I guarantee you'll devour these urban
fantasy books, because they're just awesome.
“Phones on, and stay alert,”
Luc said. “And tell Jonah we said hello.”
“Lucas,” Ethan politely said, “kiss my ass.”
“Lucas,” Ethan politely said, “kiss my ass.”
ENJOY! ©







0 comentarii:
Trimiteți un comentariu