Review All Our
Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Synopsis: "You have to kill him." Imprisoned in the heart
of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the
cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain.Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present—imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called the doctor while war rages outside.
Marina has loved her best friend James since the day he moved next door when they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Now someone is trying to kill him. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was.
All Our Yesterdays is a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice.

Rating: 5+/5 Stars © © © © ©
Must read! Must have! Must buy! Must fall in love with!
Genres:
Young Adult, Time Travelling, SF, Dystopia
Recommended for: Contemporary, SF, Romance and Thriller
junkies
My Opinion:
Four
words: I love(d) this book.
I
don’t even know what to begin with. All
Our Yesterdays had so much awe-inspiring elements that now, right after I
finished the book, I’m struck speechless. I’m still in the world the author
intelligently created, with her unique and original characters, trying to save
the world from its destruction.
The
synopsis had me expecting a different turn of events, so I was really
unprepared for the real thing. But, oh my God, it was beyond amazing! The
alternative narrations were a top-notch way to reveal information. And the
flashes from the past clicked pieces into puzzle and made me see the bigger
picture and how complicated it was.
Besides
the well-built plot, the other awesome thing was the characters. Arghh, I don’t even know what to say about them and
not spoil anything. I’ll try anyway.
Em was my favorite character. She’s such a
brave young woman and the sacrifices she’s made are so worthy of respect and
admiration. She’s truly a model heroine. Strong, but not merciless. Smart.
Deeply caring about the ones she loves. The conflict between what she should do and what she wants to do is a tormenting thing to
experience and I wished I could give her moral support and be BFFs from then
on.
Marina is the rich and spoiled, selfish girl
type, but at the same she has this innocence that makes her naive. Regardless,
I couldn’t help but support her and admire the way she fought for the ones she
loves. Her relationship with James was amazing, not because they have wowza chemistry
or they’re soul mates or other gibberish, but because it is based on trust and
understanding.
And
speaking of James, I have a
confession to make: I’m so in love with him! It might seem odd for others that
read this book, but this brilliant boy won my heart completely! He was no
perfection, that I can agree on, but his wish to make the world a better place is
noble. He’s lonely, sweet, troubled and a science geek: how could I not love
him? *swoon*
“I know you, Marina,” James says softly. “You can’t hide
anything from me.”
Finn was also a great character: he’s loyal,
lovable, sweet, funny, cute and fierce! I
really liked his witty lines that also played a part as comic relief in the
grim atmosphere and his protectiveness. As I said, he’s just great.
“He presses his lips to mine so softly that I think he must
be afraid this is a dream that will dissolve at the best part. His hands press
tighter to my back, pulling me close, and for a second all my fear is drowned
out.”
The doctor, who’s the villain of this book, is a
great example of how people can change when they have power. I was disgusted by
him and angry at him. But in the end I felt just ultimately sad.
The character development between the past and the
future is really incredible and it offers the readers a great opportunity to
fully understand the actions and sacrifices some of the characters make.
They’re flawed and they make mistakes when they let their hearts get in the
way. And that makes them real, like any other human being.
“It’s just you’ve had that look on your face ever since you
picked me up,” he says.“What look?”
“The Marina-is-suffering-in-silence look, where you grit your teeth and pinch your lips together like something might escape you at any second and you’re trying to hold it back.”
“I have no such look.”
The romance part is a bit tricky, because it’s
approached differently than in other books, but it sure as hell is complex and
complicated. And I’m not saying anything else. *wink*
I’m
a sucker for time-travelling novels, because the consequences of such an action
are infinite and very dangerous and a read like this one actually makes you think. It puts your brain wheels into
motion and engages you in the story, because if you change the past, you
inevitably change the future and that’s when you’ll head into the unknown. I
also liked how the author gave a perfectly logical explanation to the
possibility of time-travel, which may as well not be realistic, but it sure
managed to set the story in action. Physic laws. Mathematical equations. It
made me wonder if time travelling could become reality in the future.
Some
of the first twists are easy to predict, but the plot has many hidden turns and jaw-dropping revelations that
will leave you wide-eyed and shocked.
All Our Yesterdays is a definite page-turner
that will keep you constantly on the edge of your seat, devouring every word
from the book, because the pace is thrilling and action-driven. As a matter of
fact, I actually started this book at like 1 AM because I couldn’t sleep and I
ended up staying until 4 AM, half-way into the book, cursing the gods for
needing sleep to function, because I needed
to know what happened with Em, Marina, James and Finn.
“James reaches for my hand. “Just don’t leave me, okay,
kid? Please don’t ever leave me.”I squeeze his fingers. “Never. You’re stuck with me, Shaw.”
But
don’t think this is just a thriller with lots of fighting. Definitely not. What
is so amazing about this book is that it mixes emotional turmoil with all the
action going on. And the result? It’s a
damn excellent rollercoaster! You have romance, a whole different kind of love
triangle (I’m not even sure we could call it that way) and a good amount of
confusion and conflicting feelings just to mess with the characters’ minds.
“The truth is, the world is a fucked up place sometimes.”
But
one thing is sure, there’s no good or bad. There’s only good and bad.
We learn that when we’re faced with the villain from this book.
The
end was unpredictable, at least to me. Sure, it entered my thoughts at some
time, but I neglected it instantly, because it was heartbreaking and sad.
Bittersweet. Nonetheless, it offered the best closure in this case. The fact
that there is a sequel in work surprised me, because I thought the story was
finished, but considering it’s about the same characters, who am I to say no to
such a treat? Cristin Terrill wrote an ass-kicking debut and I’m one of her
newest fans!
So
what more convincing do you need? I suggest reading All Our
Yesterdays immediately. It’s a gorgeous piece of literature that blew away
my expectations (and they were quite high, trust me) and it’s definitely one of
my favorite reads of 2013. It’s a gut-wrenching story about love, friendship
and the fine line between good and evil.
ENJOY! ©

0 comentarii:
Trimiteți un comentariu